Going Green Blog Background

Tuesday 11 August 2009

Ginger Jar Card

I made this card for my sister-in-law's birthday next week, and also for the August challenge on the Joanna Sheen forum. The theme for August was: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.


The something old was the blue cardstock, and some blue ribbon from my cake decorating stash, and the blue sentiment.
The something new was the use of Joanna's new CD Eastern Treasures, and my new Martha Stewart doily punch.
The something borrowed was the inspiration for the topper from my pal Sheila on the forum - based on an idea she did for her birthday card to me.
and of course the something blue is a bit obvious!

The backing paper came from Eastern Treasures, as did the ginger jar and the bird.

I resized the jar card in Publisher, and printed and cut it out. I then overlayed the same resized jar shape (on some different backing paper from the cd and positioned the words where I wanted them to appear. Deleted the jar shape and printed off the backing paper, with the wording on it.

Once printed off I carefully lined up the folded jar shape, traced the outline, and cut out the paper with the words on, and then another piece to match the pattern without words, these were used to "line" the topper. Ribbon was tied around the top of the jar, and then the topper glued to the card.

My husband asked how would the recipient know to open the topper - so I printed off the bird from the embellishment section of the cd and attached it to the top flap of the jar.


here is the inside of the topper.

I cut a strip of white card and cut out the doily edge, then made a faux "ribbon" to cover the join by cutting a thin strip of pearlised paper, and edging it with fancy thin peel-offs.

4 comments:

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Mags wow this is gorgeous love the colours and the theme that image is super good luck in the challenge at JS.

Hugs
Lorraine x

Beryl K said...

This is just gorgeous Mags, love everything about it
Beryl x

Glitzzynews blogspot said...

Hey Mags,
just love your card,the blues are so pretty,looks so pretty,I would a ginger jar the same!!
Mags,can you come over to mine,something to give you.
Luv Maureen x

Anonymous said...

I really like your cards Mags, I have nominated you for an award. hope you don't mind. Julia