Going Green Blog Background

Saturday, 24 March 2012

Hanging Basket Part 1

I am in the middle of an ongoing project:

First Basket

I had some old tatty green hanging baskets, that had really seen better days.  As you can see from the pictures below I painted them black.  I used Black Magic some paint I got from Ideal World, which Sheena mentioned in one of her programmes last year.   I have already painted our old swing, the metalwork on a bench and the imitiation pump on our water feature, which were all metal.  

At the end of the summer I did start to put a coat of the paint on one of the hanging baskets when the flowers had finished just to see how it took.  It did say on the tin that you could paint plastic as well as metal.   So this week I started to revamp three baskets (and the chains - which were a tad rusty and now are as good as new too!)

Having given them a couple of days to thoroughly dry and harden off (they only take about 30 mins to dry in reality), I set to and paint fusioned them with my acrylic paints.  I was going to map out the pattern with my PF stamps, but with the uneven surface this wasn't so easy - so I ended up painting them freehand.  Not as good as some Ivy I have done in the past - I am obviously out of practise from last year!

I then added some imitation (barge painting style)  roses around the base with a trail of leaves, and some turquoise dots between the two.

This basket will hang in the porch, and as I have a trough that hangs on the wall, it looks as though that will be next item to be given "the black treatment" ready for painting to match the basket.

Not sure what I am going to do on the other two baskets which hang on back wall of the house.  As it is obviously going to be another freehand job - may well go for roses and daisies.

The old green baskets with their coat of black magic (above and below)

1 comment:

Beryl K said...

This is gorgeous Mags
Beryl x