Going Green Blog Background

Saturday 16 June 2012

Needle Felting - first attempts!

L-R :  Me, Sass, Sass

Whilst Sassie was up staying with me she purchased some needle felting bits on one of our outings.  So obviously we had to have a play.  I had a kit that I had purchased at Make It Show at Farnborough, but hadn't really had a proper play.

We decided to try different techniques - although we both started off by using some cake decorating cutter shapes.  Sassie chose a cross, which as you can see ended up a bit lop-sided.  Mind you if you turn it on its side it looks more like a butterfly.  I used a large piece of foam for my felting, whilst Sass had bought a sort of upside down brush to do hers.

Sass then tried just doing felt onto felt with the L and heart - that turned out really well.  In the meantime, having started with a sort of paisley leaf shape for my attempt, I then rolled strands of wool between my hands and did a sort of abstract design - it does actually look better in real life.  I then proceeded to make it into a mini cushion by sandwiching some lambswool between two bits of felt.  It was quite difficult to get the edges to join, and I ended up breaking two of my needles.  Sass then had a go and she broke all three of hers.

So this was as far as we got with our playing.  Needles have now been replenished so we shall try again!

Mags

No comments: