Going Green Blog Background

Saturday 7 June 2014

Butterflies

painted box


I was in a butterfly mood today.  I bought this little craft box during the week from the Works, for my no.2 granddaughter, who had a lot of micron pens and sakura gel pens for her zentangling for her birthday, and although I had made a little pencil holder for her bedroom, I thought she might need some more storage.

To match the other items in her bedroom I painted some scabious, and then added a butterfly in matching colours.

..........

Butterfly Canvas


I then wanted to try an experiment using a distress technique I saw on Create and Craft, using one of the kitchen scourers on sponge that you use in the kitchen.,

I applied black gesso to the canvas, then using the scourer applied bronze and then red metallic acrylic paint around the edges  The roughness of the canvas helps with the final effect.

Next step was to paint some card - firstly with the bronze metallic acrylic on both side, and then over-painted one side with with Luminarte Primary Elements hot cinnamon mixed with bind and resist powder.  Once this was dry I stamped the butterfly in Stazon, and cut it out.  Bent the wings to give it some "life", and stuck it to the canvas with glue.

I have to say as an experiment I was really pleased with the result, as it was exactly the effect I wanted to achieve, and in real life when the sun/light catches it - it is superb.

No comments: