Going Green Blog Background

Monday 8 September 2014

Farewell to an old friend

It was a sad day today, as I said farewell to an old school friend (and fellow blogger) who died at the end of last month,  We had been friends for nearly 60 years.   We lost touch for a while, but a few years ago found each other again.

I have fond memories of our teenage years.  Our parents were friends, and I spent a holiday with her family camping one year, and another time she accompanied me for a stay at my Nan's in north London - oh we thought we were so grown up, and had such fun.

We spent many days in the village, wandering the footpaths, climbing trees and all sorts.  Her father was a great influence in my life too, and taught me a lot about the history of Sussex, and I have never forgotten those things.

My brother and the eldest of her two brothers were also best buddies, and we both lost them in their mid thirties within a few months of each other.

More recently we both loved family tree research .


My favourite picture of us taken in January 2014

I love this photo of us, and many friends said we looked like two naughty schoolgirls.  My only regrets are that although she managed to reach her 70th birthday this year, she wasn't well enough to join me for my 70th birthday a few weeks earlier; and I had promised to make her a cake for her birthday, but regretfully she was in the hospice, fading fast, so I was never able to fulfill my promise to her.  She also wanted me to make her a butterfly mobile. (I had this made, but had not put it together - so it will go in my Den as a permanent reminder of her).

It was a lovely simple service this afternoon, led by her half brother; and her daughter Clare gave the most beautiful eulogy.   The final music was from the 60s and it so reminded me of the two of us at a dance in  a marquee on the village green, where we jived away the night.  

Farewell my friend.  You may have gained your angel wings too early, but now you can fly free with the butterflies that you loved so much.  RIP Paula. xxx

No comments: