This is really work in progress. I bought the mdf shape at the Sandown Craft Show - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the stall - such a shame as they had some lovely stuff.
To start with I used distress inks on the trunk and branches, and then swapped to to the MediaArt paints. I added lots of water over the top when I had finished getting the shading effect I wanted and sprinkled some Cosmic Shimmer clear Ultra Thick Embossing Crystals over it - making it wetter in some places. I then heated the crystals with my heat gun, so that I got a random raised finish. More distress ink was then applied.
I painted the leaves and the birds with more mediaart products.
However, I can'd decide what colour to paint the hearts - thus the work in progress! I also have some tiny mdf owls that I might use instead - decisions, decisions. Suggestions for the colour of the hearts welcome. So far I have had suggestions of bronze, red and green.