Going Green Blog Background

Saturday 5 November 2016

Something Completely Different!


I had fun today - just playing!  I watched the Colourlicious Shows on Hochanda yesterday, and was inspired by the use of gelli plates for block and reverse printing.

Well I didn't have the large gelli plates that she was using, but I do have some mini shaped ones from Clarity, and I had some blank tea towels! So nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I tried doing the block printing the way Jamie showed, but found it a little awkward, so using the little gelli mounts, I used them like a stamp.  She also used a brayer on the gellis, but I found that made the background too light for the effect I wanted, so I just used a sponge on them.

I do have some of the Indian wooden block stamps in my stash (albeit only a few) so I used what I had and did the reverse printing, by stamping into the gelli and removing some ink, before stamping on the tea towel.   I also did some ordinary stamping with the Indian stamps, as well as using a couple of stencils (a random leaf effect one near the centre and Andy Skinner''s Fossil stencil  to fill in the triangles around the edge.   White "gaps" and the edge then just had the textile paint applied randomly with a sponge.  For info the gellis I used where the triangle, hexagonal and oval.

This is sort of work in progress at the moment, as I haven't decided whether I want to fill in the rest of the white of the tea towel yet.



No comments: