I had a little play with some air dry clay the other day, and made a couple of gnomes/wizards that I had seen demonstrated a while back on Hochanda. (It took a while for my order to arrive, by which time the programmes on catchup had expired - fortunately I managed to watch one of the last repeats and "snip" some inspiration and save it).
For the figure on the left I shaped a cone of card and draped the clay round it. Added some twine (unraveled) for its beard. Then added a nose (you don't need a head as such just a large nose shape. I then worked some all round medium into a piece of hessian for the hat.
The figure on the left is slightly hollow - using my fingers. He had a round head an a smaller round for his nose. I then flatted a strip of clay and snipped into it and textured it for his beard. When I looked at my original "snips" from the show - I discovered he was supposed to have a clay hat! (oh well next time - lol!)
In the first picture I realised the gnome looked more female as its beard had moved and it looked more like hair - so I re-arranged the twine - hopefully it looks more like a beard in this photo:
When I have time I will make a little family of these for next year, as I want to make some more fairy doors, and I can hopefully create a little scene. I might even try to paint some of them as an experiment too!