Going Green Blog Background

Thursday 18 May 2017

Trying a rustic look


Managed to have a little play this week and trying an experiment.   I wanted a sort of rustic/shabby chic look on this little crate.  Photo isn't brilliant as it has been chucking it down with rain, and I had to take the photo indoors.

I used Pebeo Deco Creme paints, which have a chalky finish effect.   I didn't prime the wood with gesso as the paints have a similar effect.

I started by painting the lower part with a dark grey, progressing through light grey and then adding white or some white gesso to the mix.

I double loaded the brush with the graduating shades and did some dry brushing in places to get the irregular rustic look.  I highlighted the grooves with the darker grey to make it resemble planks of wood more.

I then did some little folk art roses and leaves around the heart shapes.    The inside was just painted randomly with the various shades of grey.

Finally it was given a coat of Decoart Matt Varnish.


I have a little square version of this crate, and am trying a completely different experiment on that, which hopefully I will blog in the next couple of days

No comments: