Going Green Blog Background

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Owl Fairy Door

I normally just post pictures of a finished project, but I remembered to take some work in progress photos.

Preparation of the Door

The worst part if removing all the hinges etc (and putting them back on!)  The door is painted with decoart paints, and then sprinkled with thick embossing powder and heated to give the worn, blistered look.


The surround had texture paste applied and when dry painted with white gesso and various shades of grey, cream and green pebeo decocreme paints sponged on.

The next decision was which owl to use:
Fat Owl or ........

..... Thin Owl ?

Nearly finished
I liked both, so as the door was for a friend of my daughter's I put it to the vote and fat owl won!  Fat owl was painted in a similar fashion to the door,  His "tummy" then had some cream paint wiped over it with my finger to bring out the texture of the embossing powder.  His eyes and beak were painted with Pebeo DYNA iridescent paints, and then had glossy accents applied.  (Full details on painting the owl on an earlier post)

The flowers and leave were die-cut from card, and painted with Pebeo acrylics and distress inks.  I added a little unicorn sparkles and some puffy paint for snow.

Finished
So I still have another door to use that was painted at the same time as this one - so the thin owl will probably be used for that.  I have already started to prepare the door - so below is a little teaser.   I just need to decide what flowers etc I will put on it.   Shall I do another Christmas one - or should I go with something like primroses and make a spring one?   Decisions, decisions.


No comments: