Going Green Blog Background

Thursday 8 March 2018

Make-Over - Cake Tin


The cake "tin" that sits on the work surface in the kitchen, and the "go to" box when the family are visiting to see what "goodies" are in there was looking very tatty and getting on my nerves, as I have been meaning to do something to it for ages.

We had a little family gathering over the weekend, and I got out some of the left-over paper napkins to use.   When clearing up, the idea came to me to use them as an experiment on the cake tin.  Would it work on plastic?   Well there was only one way to find out.

I carefully separated the three layers and just used the top coloured one (albeit I have also saved the second layer in case it could come in useful for another project, as it is basically white with a vague green and red tartan pattern on it.


I gave the box a lick of indigoblu paint mixed with slapiton - to try and camouflage the printing.  Then it was slipiton and the napkins to decoupage it.   I added a little paint to the topcoat of slapiton, so that has an added pearl finish to it.   The sides didn't have the paint added.

This may be work in progress, as if I find some suitable images I may decoupage something else to the top, or I may just find some suitable stamps and stamp onto some tissue or rice paper.  I amy be a project to do with the grandchildren!

No comments: