Going Green Blog Background

Wednesday 18 July 2018

Viking Longship - work i progress

I fell in love with a papiermaché longship whilst in Hobbycraft last week with my granddaughter.

I wanted it to be waterproof, so I applied bronze Powertex to the hull and ivory Powertex to the sail/  It didn't take long to dry in this weather.  It was so hot yesterday afternoon that I really didn't have the mojo to start on the painting, but suddenly decided to have a bash at it so to speak when it got cooler

I was a bit concerned on how I would achieve the wood effect over the Powertex, and just started by dry brushing various shades of brown along the contour.  I then took a fine paint brush and painted the darker lines, and then went back in between the lines with the varying shades of brown.   I am quite pleased with the result.




The sale was painted with a pinky-cream and then I applied masking tape and painted the stripe down the centre.

The prow and stern were painted and then gold gilding wax applied, and various starlight coloured paints were stippled on to the "shields". 

Still a bit more to do to it - I shall add some centres to the shields with Nvo drops and then perhaps add some gilding wax or paint the drops.

I am also tempted to paint some sort of emblem on the sail.    I think it needs something like and eagle in flight.   I don't have a stamp like that, but I do have an eagle's head stamp ......... (and I might have an angel wings stamp in my stash - I forget)   .... so watch this space as they say.

No comments: