I made this card for my daughter's birthday and confess it was very last minute, as I have not been feeling well this past week or so.
Not only is it my first easel card, but also my first go at ultra thick embossing!
The image and papers are from Joanna Sheen's "In Other Words" cd. The main topper from the floral toppers section, and the other paper from the patchwork topper/paper section. The base card was A4 plain Burgundy card from my stash.
I highlighted the sweetpea image with sakura stardust pens, applied with a koi water brush, and then did some double embossing using Cosmic Shimmer ultra thick clear embossing powder. The image was mounted on foam tape on burgundy corrugated card, and this was mounted in the middle of a strip of the patchwork paper, and some flora doodles with card candy centres added either side.
I attached a further piece of the patchwork paper, which I punched along the edge with one of my Martha Stewart punches. Two lengths of Ribbon - silver overlaid with burgundy were attached before adding to the base card. Another card candy button holds the "easel" up and a sentiment from my stash added to a piece of card edged with burgundy was placed on the ribbon.
In addition to making this today (her birthday is tomorrow) I also quickly knocked up a joint birthday cake this afternoon for her and her teaching colleague Kirsten. I had felt guilty at not making a proper birthday cake for Dawn - the first time in 36 years - and also for the past couple of years I have made a joint cake for her and Kirsten.
We had been talking about cupcakes last night, and suddenly inspiration struck - I would make a giant "Cupcake". It is not brilliant by my standards, but it is the thought that counts! (I hope). Definitely a case of using what was in the cupboard! Cake is chocolate victoria sponge, topped with fondant - but the mix- it-yourself with water type, as there was a packet in the cupboard!
I then discovered some left-over pink sugarpaste and cut out the numbers and initials, (from a kit I won in my sugarcraft club raffle at Christmas - so another first!) having first rolled a pretty floral pin over the sugarpaste. I then made some roses (what is known in the trade as "marzipan roses" - and probably the first thing I ever learned to do in cake decorating!) The numbers, initials and roses were then dusted with lilac frosted edible dusts! Voila - a 30 minute cake! Not brilliant I know - but it is the taste that counts! (well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it! - at least I have been brave enough to share the photo!)