Going Green Blog Background

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Retro Look Card

I don't normally buy Crafter's Companion cds, but when I saw Nigel May's first craft cd "A-May-Zing" I fell in love with a couple of bits from it.  I was particularly inspired to buy it after seeing a retro card made by Linda Hill (http://lindasrainbowcraftingcabin.blogspot.co.uk/).  (Hers used the red option).


So having fallen in love with this backing paper, which as I mentioned was the reason I bought the cd, this is my interpretation of her idea for a card for my son. 

Linda did tell me that she had done the letters in Bubble font and then used Craft Artist to create a stencil for the letters.   Well I couldn't work out how to do it or how to create a black outline around the letters.  I managed using MCS to create the stencilled letters without a black outline, printed them, and then edged them by hand with a micron pen, before cutting them out  and glazing them with Creative Expressions 3D Crystal Clear Lacquer.  ( I know Linda said she cut her letters out by hand, after she created them, but I don't know whether she glazed them, or whether the shiny effect was created along with the black outlines in Craft Artist).

When I put the elements together I didn't like the clear space in the top right-hand corner, and was originally going to put some matching buttons to the ribbon on there, but I only had two and not three (that's typical isn't it when you get a freebie in a magazine).  Anyway I found a little hedgehog in my stash which had the same colours on it as the paper.   I still felt it needed something else - Linda had some pretty beads dangling on hers, so I decided that rather than put "feminine" beads on, I would make some paper beads, which I also varnished with the 3D glaze.  I thought I was going to be able to cheat and use the cd for the paper beads, but they didn't have them in the design I was using; so I created my own from another sheet of the backing paper!  I threaded them on to some eye pins and then hung them on a black jump ring from my stash. 

Hope my son likes it - it's a bit different from my normal sort of card, but then men's cards nearly always defeat me!  (and  note there isn't any Zentangle in sight! - he won't be expecting that!)


Thanks for popping by

Mags



2 comments:

lindah11 said...

Mags that is beautifull, i love it
well done you
hugs linda xxx

Hazel said...

It looks great, I'm sure he'll love it. I'm not around much at the minute because my sister is very ill. It's a miserable time and I don't want to make everyone else miserable! Hazel x