Going Green Blog Background

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Altered Art and Upcycling - something completely different!

front of finished vase

I had the opportunity to go on a Paverpol workshop last night with my daughter which was organised by the Make-Horsham Craft Project, and oh WOW what can I say - I had a fabulous evening.  I am hooked!
 
Basically paverpol is a pva based liquid, which when set hard is frost proof.  You dip various natural materials (anything except plastic) into the liquid and then apply to whatever shape you have chosen.  I decided rather than using an old vase I would upcycle on old coffee jar:
 
 
the starting point - and old coffee jar

The materials used for my vase, were t-shirt material, cotton dishcloth, knitted cotton scrim, rickrack, some bits of pattern silk material, and an embroidery lily flower cut from another pieces of silk, and a few glass nuggets.
How it looked when we had finished the workshop

 
This morning when it had turned black was completely dry on the outside I used some gilding wax, in silver and two shades of gold on my fingers and highlighted the materials.  It will be rock hard in a couple of weeks, and will be frost proof.  I shall also varnish it eventually.  (In the meantime if I decide a don't like the colour, I could overpaint it with acrylic paint.
 
The next three pictures are different views of the vase:
 
 
one of the sides

the other side

the back

and here are another couple of examples prior to finishing (as you can see it looked a lot greyer before it dried)   :
my daughter's vase - also from a coffee jar


a vase from the lady sitting next to my daughter
(in the background you can see some of the examples done by our tutor)
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it,
you can be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog
and may come back later in life. I want to encourage you
continue your great job, have a nice weekend!


Look at my webpage: payday lenders not brokers