Going Green Blog Background

Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Paverpol Canvas .... Right Chuffed!


Yes I am right chuffed, this little ol' biddy has who always maintained she hadn't an artistic bone in her body, has produced a "Work of Art"!


Finished Project
 
Can you believe this was created from T-shirt cotton, dish cloths and some flowers I made with paper clay?   This was what it looked like when I brought it home from the workshop.  (I changed the nuggets when I got home, whilst it was still wet, as they only had blue ones at the workshop, and I had fogotten to take my black ones with me!)


The project as it came home from the workshop.


To explain how it was created:

A 12" x 16" canvas was covered with strips of t-shirt material dipped in black Paverpol.  I then created a "branch" from some ribbon  in my stash that I had made christmas bows with some years ago.  I covered it in paverpol soaked dish cloth material and twisted it into shape.

With a paintbrush I painted paverpol onto the roses etc.  that I had made at home from CloudClay. (see pics below). 

I also added a butterfly that I had made from one of Sheena Douglass's stamps (just as well as I had played and had this large one as the little butterflies were too small for the project).  I then covered two polystyrene hearts with fine gauze/muslin dipped in Paverpol.   I have to add here that when I was planning this idea in my head and making the flowers I hadn't realised the size of the canvas we were going to be working on!   Good job I took all my flowers with me and not just the roses and leaves!
 
Painting:
 
The background was almost dry brushed with metalic acrylic paint - blue and green vaguely mixed together, and some bits with just blue or green.
 
The branch was brushed with various green primary elements mixed with the primary elements glaze medium.  More of the green primary elements was brushed on the backgrround material
 
Flowers and hearts were painted in red acrylic and then overpainted with primary elements powder and glaze.  Leaves were painted paint-fusion style and then overpainted with primary elements again.  The butterfly was painted with blues/purple primary elements intially

Finally a touch of pale gold gilding wax was used to highlight more of the background and the flowers, hearts and leaves; and slightly more applied to the butterfly to make it stand out more.

Here are photos of the roses and flowers that I created out of cloud clay in advance of the workshop.

hand-made roses
butterlies and blossoms created with sugarcraft cutters
 
 
                                          
blossoms created by stamping into clay
with Sheena's stamps
the wired mesh ribbon
 
I hope you like it as much as I do - it really is fab when the sunlight catches it!   I can't wait to try and make another one. 
 
My daughter attended the workshop with me and I can't wait for her to paint hers - this is her "before" picture.  She has created an owl - the body was an old flannel, eyes were crocheted flowers that she made, and the branch was a strip of crochet that she had also made.  I believe his wings are bits of dishcloth, and his tummy has bits of natural fleece on it.  It is going to look fab - will post a picture when it is finished!
 
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

Karen Petitt said...

Wow, blooming brilliant creation! Today you realised you are an artist Karen x