Going Green Blog Background

Thursday, 22 September 2016

Mixed Media Fairy Door

This is a little mixed media Fairy Door that I made using a Fairy Door from the Works, which has an opening door,   Cute isn't it.   I knew as soon as my daughter picked it up for me whilst shopping, that I wanted to do something with it.

I delayed working on it until my new DecoArt paints arrived following the demo on Hochanda by Andy Skinner.

Learning from previous experience of trying to do the salt technique on wood, I sealed the door first with decoupage glue.   The door was first painted with paynes grey and the salt sprinkled on it.   When dry and the salt was brushed off, I used various blues, umber and finally a coat of quin gold.  I added a door knocker with the greyboard bits from Andy's kit that I painted with gold and quin gold.

The outside was painted with pains grey and burnt umber, and then sprinkled with ultra thick embossing powder and heated to give it a rough texture, a bit more paynes grey and qui gold was added and the salt technique used.  (you can just about see the effect of the texture on the bit above the door.  

I wanted to add some more texture and fancied using some lace somehow to make it "prettier".   This was a bit hit and miss and a learning curve so to speak.   I dipped the lace in ivory powertex, and stuck it on to the surround,  I didn't really like the effect so proceeded to paint it with various colours of paint to match the background.

work in progress - with lace added
I had planned to make some flowers and leaves using air dry clay,, but couldn't quite get the effect I wanted.  I spied the flowers I had made the other day with Sheena's anemone die and stamps, and decided that was the way I wanted to go.

I used all the elements of the dies to create the various flowers (i.e. the calyx for the star flowers). They were cut out of black card and then painted with DYNA iridescent paints.   Over-stamped with black stazon, and then brush embroidered using mixtion paste and silver mirror foil added to the flowers, and gold foil to the leaves, and then curved to desired shapes    I needed something else to finish the surround so painted up some small shells from my stash  (the tub of shells came from The Works too).

I took a couple more photos in daylight;

with the door slightly ajar
I think I might have to buy some more of these - although I do have some plainer un opening doors in my stash (i.e. without a surround to them).

No comments: