Going Green Blog Background

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Fairy Door for a Train Enthusiast


I had great fun painting this (bought from craftwoodcreations.co.uk)  I saw this at the Farnborough Craft Show and fell in love with it (I must confess I have bought some of their fairy doors before).

My granddaughter was going to buy one, but I had already beaten her to it, so it was agreed that I would paint it and she would give it to her Dad for Father's Day.

I used some pebeo sand paste to create some texture on the outer stone work, and then painted it in various shades of grey and cream, finally going over it with some green memento ink to make it look a bit mossy.  I really love how it turned out!

The door comes in various sections.  The stone work a backing piece, the door and the clock, sign and door knob.
I painted the back arch (with grays, and other colours to create an old wood effect, and then stuck the stone arch on top.

The door was painted with decoart paints and memento inks, as I needed the wording to show through.  I confess I have forgotten what I painted the top windows with - I think it was the pebeo silver glitter paint, and then it had glossy accents applied.  The door knob had gold pebeo gilding wax applied and then stuck on to the door.

The clock and sign were painted with decoart paints, and a little gold pebeo for the arrow, and the rest had Pebeo gilding wax applied. I then highlighted the letters with a micron pen, and also added some detail to create a curved look to the posts.   The clock had glossy accents applied to it.



I am not sure whether my granddaughter will mount the door on a canvas or not, so I haven't stuck the door and surround together not added the clock and sign.  I am leaving these for her to decide what she wants to do with it. It may be that he door will go on the door of his train shed, but it if mounted it could be a "picture" on the wall of the shed.  On the website, the door is shown as in the first picture.

Shame we have got to wait until June to see if he likes it - lol!

No comments: