Going Green Blog Background

Wednesday 26 March 2014

In the Den

My eldest granddaughter's school had a fire, so at the moment the girls are taking turns going into school for lessons.  Today was one of her "home" days, so naturally we took ourselves off to the Den to do a bit of crafting.  It was a tad cold out, but we were snug in the Den.

faux leather
I made some faux leather (yesterday), using one of Sheena Douglass's embossing folders, and today I coloured it up.  Having done the basic colouring with ink various distress ink pads, I then went in with  the mown grass distress ink, using an ink duster brush to colour the leaves.

I cut out the various sizes pieces, and glued them to the tin I had prepared .  Then added some gilding wax along the edges, and a small wooden butterfly which also had gilding wax applied (mainly so that I knew which was the opening side of the tin!)

It was quite difficult to cut the shapes to fit the tin,  I am going to cheat with the lining on the inside and do some printed faux leather with copy paper using CAP2 


Finished tin

The original tin, which had black gesso applied before the faux leather.

As it was quite difficult to cut the pieces to fit, as I have some more of these tins, I may try a different technique and either using modelling paste and do some altered art with that, or maybe try using up some of my papers and do a sort of decopatch finish.

My granddaughter was obviously "playing" along side me.  She did some more to a project she started last week, working on a stationery box that a craft friend had given me for her bedroom.  It is still work in progress.  I am not sure whether she is going to do some other decoration on it, but it needs some varnish on it.

Granddaughter's Stationery Box

She then tackled started another project, whilst waiting for the box to dry.  This is also work in progress. She painted the wooden plaque first with a little tinted gesso, and them stamped the fish, water and lily on in Stazon.  She then painted them with Luminarte Primary Elements and the clear glaze medium.  I believe she is going to put some sort of words on it and then varnish it.   I am not sure if she is going to paint the other side, so that she can have an alternative image on that.


Wooden Plaque

So all in all a productive day in the Den.

No comments: