Going Green Blog Background

Monday 28 May 2018

Fairy Wands


 

What do you do when you are bored on a hot sunny day?   ...... well of course you make wands for your grandchildren - lol!  

The didn't turn out quite as planned, so have called them fairy wands rather than magic wands as they are very sparkly.

I started off with kebab sticks, onto which I threaded various sized beads.  I then got out the glue gun and glued an unusual shaped bead on the top with my glue gun.   The ideas was to make criss-cross patterns down the stick and over the beads, but it was more difficult than I thought  (you can see my attempt before the painting in the photo below.)

I then applied gesso to the wands - I did start off with one black gesso, one with gold gesso and one with silver gesso - but didn't like the gold and the silver - so applied black to all three.  I then added various gilding waxes in silver, gold, green, blue, pink, white and red in various parts.   I wanted some sort of jewels on the wands, but a) I couldn't find my pot of large jewels, and b) didn't fancy sitting sticking little jewels all over them!    I decided to use my Nuvo drops, but wasn't completely happy as they were a bit pale, so before they dried I sprinkled fine glitter over the wet drops.  Finally they had a coat of spray varnish.

If I locate my larger jewels, I may well add them later.


The mess of glue and beads before painting!

No comments: