Going Green Blog Background

Tuesday 22 January 2019

Embroidered Butterfly ... or is it a Moth on Wood?




Whenever you buy a Pink Ink design, you get one of these butterflies as a freebie to play with.  I decided to play with one of mine.  I painted the butterfly a couple of weeks ago, and confess I made a booboo - I put it on the radiator to dry, and of course it made the canvas that touched the ridges of the radiator dry much darker as it set the colour!   duh  I thought.

A couple of days ago I decided what the heck,  I will try some embroidery stitches on it that I had seen demonstrated.   The outline was done with a running stitch and then I wove another colour through the stitches..  I then embroidered the body, with a mixture of satin stitch and chain stitch, alternating the way the threads went in the different sections.  I then embroidered part of the head with button stitch and stuck a clear gem in the centre.  The antennae were done with back stitch and then a stretched french knot.  I added a couple more gems on the wings, and coloured all the gems with alcohol pens.

Finally what to do to get rid of the lines across the middle ?  Inspiration struck make it look like wood - phew think I have got away with it and I am now calling it a Moth on Wood rather than a butterfly!

No comments: