Going Green Blog Background

Thursday 7 February 2019



I had my youngest granddaughter (6) to stay overnight the other day, and having seen my new moulds she wanted to play!

She wanted to make a fairy door (and wanted it to be partially open so she could put notes behind the door (no pressure then!).     This was all her own work (with a little help from me in cutting the shape of the door).   Using Hearty Soft Air dry clay, she put bark effect on the circular mdf plaque and painted it with various shades of brown and cream acrylics, and I taught her how to dry brush. She then painted the door which was created using the dragons skin mould, using Amethyst Starlight paint and dry brushed with gold - she got the hang of dry brushing very quickly.  She then made some hinges from another Katy Sue mould and created a door knob - these had Pebeo gilding wax applied, and she soon learned the technique of applying the wax with her ring finger.

We couldn't find my Katy Sue moulds for the leaves, so we found some cutters for to create the rose and ivy leaves, which she dusted with cake decorating dusts.

Finally she discovered y stash of feathers and created a flower with them and a piece of clay, painting the centre yellow and adding a crystal gem to the middle as well a adding a gem to the door for a "peep hole".

We had a little trouble adding string to the plaque, so we compromised and she chose some matching embroidery thread for the hanger.

I know I am biased, but I think this was excellent.    She was thrilled with it, and she is certainly a quick learner and a promising little crafter - she knows what she wants and as an "artistic eye".

No comments: