Going Green Blog Background

Thursday 6 February 2020

MDF Trunk

Front

Hi all.  Thanks for popping in.  Today's make is a trunk (or large box) that I have been working on.  The MDF box was from Madhatters Crafts.  I have a lot of magazines piled on a table and I thought this was ideal for storing them in a tidy fashion.

Rather than paint it I decided to use some paper/card. I needed some A3 to cover the largest section of the box - so it was raid my craft stash.    20 years ago we used this green leather effect card for my daughter's wedding invitations, and I loved it so much, that I bought some extra card when we visited the Paper Mill on year at the Clark's Village.  It was perfect what I had in mind.


Back showing hinges

The trims. hinges and clasp all just had gilding Pebeo gilding wax applied in a deep gold that looked like brass.  I applied it fairly randomly so that it looked a bit "worn/aged" in places.

I must add that the hinge mechanism is brilliant.

Side view showing faux handles


Although I think I actually built the handles the wrong way (I believe there should actually be a gap between the "strap" and the box - but hey ho it doesn't matter I wouldn't have used them as handles as such anyway when it was full.   I created a leather strap with Hearty Clay.  The strap mould I had wasn't wide enough so I used the dragon skin mould to create a "croc skin" finish, which I then painted with brown acrylic paint.   The whole thing was then sprayed with Crafters Companion Spray and Shine.  This made the card shine, and although it was a bit "patchy" in places, it added to the "aged" look.

I have just to to finish the lining of it now - with some more A3 paper from my stash which is a sort of pale green marble effect.


No comments: