Going Green Blog Background

Friday 9 July 2021

Experimenting with Casting Compound

 


The weather was a bit better today, so I had a little experiment with some of my Plasta (Casting Compound) from the Glass Hut.

I watched a demo the other day creating a mold from clay and pressing flowers into it. and then pouring in the Plasta.    When set the clay is removed and you have a relief picture.

I confess I did have a slight accident when taking the clay off and managed to crack the plaque - I wouldn't have minded but the clay was nearly all off!  Never mind these things happen, and it was only a quick experiment.   I had the clay impression in another mold, and some of the Plasta crept under the edge, and it was focusing on get rid of the clay under this that caused me to crack it!    I have stuck it together with porcelain paste, and in real life it doesn't show as much as in the photo.

I then highlighted the details with acrylic paint and dusted the back with Luscious powder.

I used a couple of flowers out of the garden - one was a tiny scabious and I have no idea what the other one is - it tends to self seed itself in various places.    I also found an ear of wheat growing in the garden, and some different grasses that I picked on a walk to the local shop.





I had some left over compound, so I made this little candle holder/trinket box.   I shall do some more of these using different colours.

No comments: