Going Green Blog Background

Thursday 27 January 2022

Wrapped Birthday Cake (and out of my comfort zone!)



Well this is a first for mem and a big challenge and quite out of mu comfort zone.   A four layer salted caramel Victoria sponge cake.   (The flavour was achieved by using Sugar an Crumbs salted caramel icing sugar instead of caster sugar).   I also made the cakes in a normal 6" cake tin rather than sandwich tins, and then split them.  (Never done that before either!)  The cakes were made with gluten free flour and the "buttercream " (or probably more correctly frosting) was non dairy as used Stork, which is dairy free, and I also used this in the cake mix too.

I had seen the cake demonstrated and decided to give it a go, and apparently these tall 6" cakes offset on a board are very "in".

The cakes were layered with Sugar and Crumbs Velvet Vanilla "buttercream" and the swirls on the top were also the same butter cream.

I had originally intended to coat the whole cake with buttercream and just add a sugarpaste wrap, but I confess it didn't go to quite to plan, so I coated the whole cake with sugarpaste - that was a task in itself as it was 6" high!

I then marbled the sugarpaste with a smidgen of blue and pink colouring.  Rolled out and cut to size, and attached and the top edge filled.

The "flowers"/swirls when they added.   I confess it is so long since I have done these I had forgotten which nozzles were the best ones to use, and as I needed one for every colour,  I just had to raid mu stash and used what I could find.   At least the leaf nozzle was an easy choice!

The board was coated with sugarpaste and the words indented and then coloured using edible dusts mixed with alcohol.   (I was going to use cocoa butter, but using alcohol was quicker!

The cake was for my daughter, and I am pleased to say she liked it.  She has cut it in half for me to show the layers, and she will be taking it into work tomorrow to share with her colleagues.


 

No comments: