Going Green Blog Background

Sunday 5 August 2018

Experimenting with techniques

front side

I purchased this little box the other week from Indigoblu, along with some stamps.  I also have a canvas apron to paint along with some similar canvas panels to paint and attach to it - so I thought it would be good practise to try the stamps etc out before I tackled the apron.

The idea was to start of with a crackle finish, but this didn't turn out quite right, so nothing ventured nothing gained, I proceeded to try and get a distressed effect using paints.

second side
 I wanted to experiment with rice paper.  I stamped onto the rice paper with versamark, and then adhered it to the box with slap-it-on.   I then painted the images.

third side
 I tried out a bit of stencil work with inks and texture paste.  The paint drips were done with texture paste, then painted and finally versamark and ultra thick embossing powder applied.

Fourth side

I applied versamark to the rose, after I had painted it and UTEE as with the paint drips.  I used the same technique on the bottles on the front panel.

The top
 The butterfly on the top was created with texture paste through a stencil.  When dry I replaced the stencil and painted various colours through it.   I then applied versamark through the stencil and added a few coats of UT embossing powder.

another view
I found a stencil in my stash with the word Art on it , which was just right for the front.   I used a dauber and a black ink pad.  I also used a "splodgy" stencil and ink on the ribbon.  (Wasn't sure if it would run or not - so sealed the ribbon with pva glue.

the inside

I painted the inside with Pebeo DYNA orange/yellow iridescent paint.  Not a colour I normally use, but perfect for the inside of the box and lid.   It also married up well with the ribbon from my stash.


and finally a close up of th lid showing the embossed relief butterfly.   I must admit it looks fantastic in real life, and the grey shadow around the edge doesn't appear quite so wide, but helps with the 3D effect.

Definitely an experimental piece using different paints, inks etc.

No comments: