Going Green Blog Background

Monday 24 September 2018

Playing with egg shells ......

close of one section

............. What the heck is she up to now you ask?


Does this clue help?

 OK ... I will put you out for your misery.    Having boiled some eggs, I took off the shells, gave them a wash and then put them in the oven to "cook" for about 15 minutes to remove the inner membrane.  I then applied some That's Craft Clear 3D Gloss Gel Medium to the drawers of an MDF project I had made, and stuck on the bits of shell, adding more gel medium as I went along.   I then applied another coat of the medium when all bits were stuck on.

A quick heat with a heat gun to set the gel, and then I overpainted the drawers with White Gesso, to which I had added some Brushos, to create my own chalk paint.  One had purple added and one blue.  When dry I had an idea that rather than spray with varnish I would try an experiment and add some Brushos (using same colours) to some Rustoleum Furniture Finishing Wax, which I applied with my finger.  I then buffed it with a clean cloth.   Result! 

I painted the inside of he drawers with Crystal Glitter Antique White Glitter paint, and applied the Finishing Wax to those too.  Finally I added a couple of little silk flowers to create handles.
 

Inside of Drawers

Hope you can see the sparkle.
The outside of the unit was also painted with the Antique White Crystal Glitter paint, with the addition of scarlet Brushos!   I didn't mix the colour in completely, so I got a random streak look to it.   Again finished with Wax.

Finished Unit.
 
I also had another divided unit that complemented the drawers, which again was painted with White Gesso mixed with Brushos.  The two divided units were painted the same colours as the drawer fronts, and leaf green was added for the outside of the unit.  Again finished with the furniture wax.
Once again a streaky effect to the inside.
Finally the completed units together:   (The colours are actually paler and more delicate than in the photos, but due to the rainy day photos had to be taken indoors!)

Complete unit with drawers (which are opposite colours to the top)
I want to do some sort of decoration on the green part, but I haven't yet decided what. ..... maybe a stencilled pattern, maybe some stamping, or maybe some folk art.  There is no rush.  I will finish it as and when the mood/inspiration strikes.   I want to keep it pastel and pretty.  In the meantime it looks very smart sitting on my desk, keeping some stamps and stencils neat and tidy, with some small odds and ends in the drawers that always seem to go missing - like my bone folders for starters!


 




No comments: