Going Green Blog Background

Sunday 30 December 2018

A Family Heirloom

I set myself a challenge over Christmas.   Back in 2004 I discovered a tablecloth on which the embroidery had been started.   I don't know how old it is - It could have been started by my mother, albeit she was a knitter more than an embroiderer.   It could even have been her mother's (she died in 1938), as my daughter has a similar cloth that belonged to my mum. which I do remember coming out on occasions when I was a child  I will never know who started it - searching for vintage embroidery transfers on the net, I discovered that the ones in with the cloth  were probably from the 1930s to 1950s. (So still non the wiser who started the cloth!)  I certainly never remember seeing it all the time I lived at home).

I did  do a bit to the tablecloth a few years ago and finished most of the edge motifs, and having also got the original transfer sheets, I added some extra motifs in the middle, but then I got bored, forgot about it, and then my sight deteriorated.

As I have now had one cataract done, and can see a lot better, and even distinguish the colours of the threads, I set myself the challenge to complete the embroidery before the end of the year.  I have Succeeded with a day to spare.   Quite proud of myself as I am not a "clean" crafter, preferring to be dabbling with paint and mdf to being a gentile embroiderer - lol!

The finished tablecloth

one of the edge motifs

a corner motif

centre motifs (two designs)


the leftover transfers

So success one family heirloom completed, and if any of the family want to add to it - they are most welcome.   There probably aren't enough decent leftover transfers - but I suppose if the mood takes me I could make something or embroider a handkerchief !

However, I will do a bit more embroidery in the not too distant future as my nine year old granddaughter wants to learn, and I gave her a sewing box for Christmas, and also invested in a load of silks that I cold share with her.

No comments: