Going Green Blog Background

Thursday 11 July 2019

MDF Piano




I have fallen in love with the littler piano.   I didn't know what colour to paint it - but ended up doing it in a classical style.  I shall make some flowers to go in it and I thought he black would set off the flowers well.


I gave the MDF a coat f of black gesso on the outside and gold gesso on the inside.   I also used the gold gesso on the gold sections and embellishments, with a smidgen of gold gilding wax to give shadows.highlights.

I found an image of the inside frame of a grand piano and printed that off and stuck it to the bottom of the inside - it wasn't quite the right shape, but it was difficult to get it just right.  However, it won't notice when the flowers are inside.

I wanted a music ledge, so I used one of the embellishments and cut it in half lengthwise with a hacksaw, and with a pokey tool (aka a crafter's bradawl) I made a couple of holes and fashioned some retainers with jewellery wire.   I then found an image of a piece of music and reduced it in size, slightly colouring it by brushing some Old Paper Distress Oxide over it.  I then coated it with gel to stiffen it.

another view

The kit is made by Olifantjie.

a glimpse of the inside
I will post another photo when I have made the flowers.   I am thinking at the moment roses and sweet peas.    In fact I could probably make a lot of different flowers and change the arrangement according to the season.



No comments: