Going Green Blog Background

Saturday 20 November 2021

More Christmas prep and experimenting


There was some pastry left from yesterday, so I decided to have a play and experiment with an idea for a different decoration on some mince pies from an idea by Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters. The picture above is before they were cooked, and here is a close up of one of them:


 Now for the finished articles:




Can you work out how I made the designs?   ........

.... They were done by dipping the patchwork cutters in cocoa powder and then embossing the image into the pastry tops, before attaching them to the pie bases.

I think if I  had used ready bought puff pastry - the images would have bee sharper as there is more substance in that pastry.   Also I couldn't brush the tops with egg before baking for fear of moving the cocoa powder.   If I make them again - I will use the bought puff pastry, and then when almost cooked I will add the egg wash and pop them back in the oven to finish off.

No comments: