Going Green Blog Background

Sunday 30 June 2019

Another Steampunk Owl


As I mentioned the other day, I have been going through my stash of MDF projects that I bought back in the winter.   (The idea was that some of them would be useful for the grandchildren to work on)   Anyway I discovered this kit, and I knew exactly how I wanted to paint the owl   (It is another Madhatters kit by the way).

I used Pentart Rust Effect and Patina paints again for the most part for this.   The base ring was done with the patina effect, with the rust effect on the numerals.  I also used Patina for the base layer of his eyes, and then subsequent layers I used the rust effect.   The owls "glasses" and body (it was all small pieces to give the metal effect) was  painted with Pebeo Paynes Grey mixed with white gesso, and then each piece was edged with black Nuvo ink applied with a sponge.   The rivet details were done with Pentart Relief Liner, and I also used a bit of this on his claws before painting them yellow.

I am not really "INTO"  Steampunk, but I admire the cleverness of a lot of it, so I was pretty pleased with how this turned out.  In fact to be honest I was  pretty chuffed with the result, as it was exactly hos I had envisaged it.   (I hung it on the wall in my hall to take a photo of it, and confess I haven't taken it down as I like it so much !!!!!!)

No comments: